- Makes meditation possible at times when you can’t be reading the Bible, and meditation is the pathway to deeper understanding. To meditate on the law of the Lord day and night, you must have some of it in your head.
- Strengthens my faith, because faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the Word of God, and that happens when I am hearing the Word in my head.
- Shapes the way I view the world by conforming my mind to God’s viewpoint on everything.
- Makes God’s word more readily accessible in overcoming temptation to sin because God’s warnings and promises are the way we conquer the deceitful lies of the devil.
- Guards my mind, making it easier for me to detect error, and the world is filled with error because the god of this world is a liar.
- Enables me to hit the devil in the face with a force he cannot resist, to protect myself and my family from his assault. It is the Sword in our hand.
- Provides the strongest and sweetest words for ministering to others in need. Don’t be caught off guard with someone in need.
- Provides the matrix for fellowship with Jesus because He talks to us through the Bible, sweetly, powerfully, authentically, speaks to us through His word, and if we have the Word in us, we can talk with God anywhere.
The above is from John Piper's "If My Words Abide In You..."
I don't agree 100% with all Pastor Piper says (for instance, he says the Bible is the only way God speaks to us, and I believe that is not the only way He communicates with us...) but it is well worth the 50 minutes to watch it. The first 15 minutes is him quoting from memory...and it is powerful.